Many people waste money buying exercise equipment that ends up gathering dust. While workout equipment definitely offers advantages when it comes to losing weight or building muscle, the simple truth of the matter is that you do not need to spend hundreds of dollars on machines that you will very seldom use.
A better way to workout is to use things that you already have available and save your money for that new wardrobe that you will need when the weight comes off.
There are a number of things around the home that can be used for a very effective workout and you can get that workout without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on equipment that is going to end up idle.
You have heard it before – stair climbing offers an excellent workout. There are stair climbing machines that you can buy but why waste your money? You can get just as good a workout by using the stairs in your home and this costs you nothing. If you do not have stairs inside your home, think about your workplace or other places that you frequent. There should be a stairway somewhere near you that you can use for your workout.
In order to get a good workout with stairs, simply follow these tips:
- Begin by running up and down the stairs and if possible, skip a step in between runs. Take every other step in order to get a more thorough workout. Run up and down as much as you can and stop when you become tired.
- Take the total times that you climbed your staircase and divide that number in half. For instance, if you made it to the top step 20 times then you will begin with 10.
- Run the stairs 10 times for each workout interval. Rest for a minute and then run it another 10 times. Rest again and do another 10 runs.
- Increase your workout intervals regularly so that you get the maximum benefit.
Stairs are just one piece of workout equipment that you will not have to buy. You can do other exercises using things around your home as well. Dips offer a good upper body workout and can be done without expensive weight benches and workout machines. Using a bench or chair, you can perform dips and get the same benefit that exercise equipment gives you.
It is important that you have the right form when performing this exercise and here is a guide to help you:
- Stand up straight with your back to the chair. You need to ensure that you have chosen a very sturdy chair or bench so that your body weight will be supported properly.
- Bend your legs slightly and place the palms of your hands on the front edge of the chair.
- Point your fingers forward.
- Walk your feet slowly in front of you until most of your body weight is rested on your arms.
- Inhale and tuck your elbows to your sides – now slowly bend your arms and lower your body toward the chair.
- You want to keep bending until your arms are parallel with the floor and your hips are dropped down toward the floor.
Yoga is a great way to relax and workout and contrary to popular opinion, you do not have to spend a small fortune on yoga equipment in order to enjoy a good workout. You can make your own sandbag for this workout using just a pillow case or a larger duffle bag. Fill the bag with heavy material like wood chips, cat litter or anything else that you may have lying around the house.
If you want a real sand bag, simply line a laundry bag with trash bags and fill it with sand. Seal the case and use duct tape to keep it sealed. You can also skip the yoga mat and simply use a small blanket or a large towel. Yoga mats are mostly for defining your workout space and do not have to be official mats.
Your Workout Space
Just as you do not need to spend money on workout equipment, you do not have to delegate a workout space. You can literally workout anywhere you choose as long as you have the room to do so. If you live in an upper level apartment, you can begin your workout by running down the stairs.
Take your exercising to the streets or find a small space in your home that will give you the room that you need to move about appropriately. Using the stairs, chairs and even the wall will give you a wonderful workout without having to spend money to purchase expensive equipment or pay for a gym membership.
You can also save by skipping the weights and weight bench and simply using heavier items around your home for your weight lifting needs. Gallons of milk, 2 liter sodas and even cans of soup can all be used to give you a great weight lifting session without having to hit the gym for real weights.
You really do not have to spend money on expensive gym equipment to get the body that you want. There are a number of things around the house that can be used for an effective workout and not only will these things help you to feel and look fit, they will help you to keep your checkbook in good shape as well.
Armed with a bachelor’s degree in health promotion and education combined with the practical experience of working as a fitness instructor and personal trainer gave him the confidence to help newbies, students, athletes and even senior citizens achieve their fitness goals. Starting from writing for magazines and newspapers to blogging full time and thinking of publishing a book in the near future David Bloom has come a long way.