When your basement floods, there are a million different things to worry about, everything from removing valuable items to removing standing water. Knowing where to start is the most valuable information you can have.
Where to Begin
The first thing you want to do when you discover you basement is flooded is to remove valuables and get rid of the standing water. If there is water that is continually filling up your basement you will want to find the source and cut it off.
When assessing the situation, be sure to turn off all of the power supplies in your home, including gas, electricity, and water. When there is a lot of standing water and you are overwhelmed by the situation, you may want to consider calling a professional disaster company to come help you with your flood.
They will help you get rid of standing water and evaluate what needs to be done in your home to make sure it safe for your family. You may think that water damage is the worst that can come of a flooded basement. However, the real danger of a flooded basement is mold growth.
Mold can grow in your home in all kinds of different shades of the listed colors below that include; black, green, pink, orange and white.
Mold can grow anywhere in your home. The only things that mold spores need to grow are a damp place and something to feed on. Recently flooded basements are mold spores’ favorite nesting place. Mold loves growing in places that are paper based, such as wood, and cardboard. Mold also grows in these places in your home;
- Ceiling tiles
Mold can cause serious health implications to you and your family. Knowing the symptoms and signs of mold in your home can be some of the best protection in keeping you and your family safe. Some side effects of exposure to mold include;
- Brain damage
- Eye irritation
- Memory problems
- Runny nose
- Skin rash
The different species and types of mold are all unique in their own way. Each type and species of mold can cause different side effects in your health. Black mold is not as common as other molds but can be very toxic to humans and animals.
Water damage is the other major implication with a flooded basement in your home. Water damage is not threatening to your life like mold is, but can be just as much of a pain to clean up and repair.
Calling in your local disaster cleanup is something you should consider when your basement floods. They have all of the proper equipment to clean up the water, and repair any damage. If they are not able to restore items in your home, they will properly inventory them so that you can file a claim with your insurance agents.
Hopefully you never have to clean up after a flood in your home, but if you do, knowing who to call and the potential dangers will help keep your family safe.
Chanelle Furner enjoys writing professionally and especially in this industry. She has written related to cleaning and keeping your home a safe and healthy place to live on several different blogs.